Doctoral Study Programme in Education (Ph.D.)
The Department of Educational Sciences at the Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic offers a four-year doctoral study programme in Education taught in English.
About the study programme
Doctoral studies may be carried out on a full-time or part-time basis. The programme includes comprehensive preparation for autonomous academic research. Your thesis must make a contribution to knowledge in a specific area, meet rigorous academic standards and show evidence of originality.
As a student in the programme, you will receive advanced training in research methods, participate in regular seminars where academic staff provide support for your thesis in your chosen area of specialization and individual supervision and consultation with your supervisor. Other integral parts of the doctoral study programme include lectures from leading scholars in educational research, presentations from staff and a forum for discussion between students and scholars.
The Diploma Supplement model, which forms part of the Diploma, was developed by the European Commission, the Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES.
The tuition fee per academic year is EUR 2.500. The tuition fee can be reduced from the second year if the doctoral student fulfils his/her study duties.
Why choose our study programme?
- A widely recognised diploma
- Study within the European Union
- Affordable fees and costs
- Flexible study options
- A leading department in the field of educational science
- Work in a department with extensive international contacts
- Be part of a dynamic university
- A friendly and creative working atmosphere
The topic of a dissertation may be associated with current research being carried out by a selected research team at the department, or the student may choose a topic close to his/her professional interests in disciplines that include the following:
- philosophy of education
- sociology of education
- evaluation in education
- social education and counselling
- and more
A wide variety of research projects are in progress, as you can see from the topics of some theses recently submitted and successfully defended:
- The Narrative and Social Construction of an Expert Teacher’s Professional Identity
- Family Socialisation of Children’s TV Watching
- The Small Schools with Composite Classes and Factors Influencing their Existence and Operation
- The School Transformation and School Culture
- Sketches from Current Aesthetics Education: Definition, Context, Theory and Practice
- The Role of Information and Communication Technologies in the Language Training of University Students
- The Transformation of the Preconceptions of 3rd Grade Pupils
- Curriculum Design: A Means of Professional Development for the Teacher of English Language
Programme leader Prof. Milan Pol
Milan Pol is a professor of education specializing in educational leadership, management and governance as well as educational evaluation. He is the author of a variety of books on organizational learning in schools, school culture, professional and life careers of educational leaders and other publications. Currently he practices leadership and management as the Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University. As an expert he has been involved in quality assurance processes in higher education, both nationally and internationally.